Location: Indianapolis, IN
Project Architect: Adolph Scherrer
The Indiana Medical History Museum is an Indianapolis monument to the beginning of psychiatric medical research. It is located on the grounds of what was formerly Central Indiana Hospital for the Insane, later shortened to Central State Hospital. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 25, 1972, as the Old Pathology Building.
The building was constructed in 1895 and opened as the Pathological Department of Central State Hospital. When constructed, the two-story brick building was considered “state of the art”, with a 150-seat teaching amphitheater, bacteriological and chemical research facilities, and the hospital’s morgue.