Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island
Project Architect: Thomas A. Tefft
The present church, a handsome Gothic Revival stone structure, was designed by a prominent local architect, Thomas Alexander Tefft, and built in 1851 on land donated to the new congregation by Resolved Waterman, a Greenville native and prominent businessman. The congregation was established as an offshoot of St. Stephen’s Church in Providence, which was attended by Waterman and whose officiant, Rev. James Eames, was Saint Thomas’ first minister. It is one of a small number of surviving designs by Tefft, who designed as many as 25 Rhode Island churches in his career. The property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.